Yamazaki 12 yo (old official bottling)



Another review by Serge Valentin. I am taking a bit of a punt with the photo because Serge does not have access to images of the original bottles from which his samples came. I am guessing that this old official bottling is one from the period when Suntory liked to calls its single malts "Pure malts" and bottled a Yamazaki 12 at 43 per cent under that flag.

Review by Nonjatta contributor -
Serge Valentin

Visit Serge`s website, the definitive Whiskyfun.com.

"Yamazaki 12 yo (43%, OB, bottled in the 1980’s)
Colour: Gold.
Nose: Drier and more phenolic than the more recent 15yo. Tea, sandalwood, cedar wood, patchouli… Gets maltier after that. Hints of olive oil, waxed paper, fresh almonds. Less sexy, I’d say. No OBE yet on the nose.
Mouth: We’re extremely close to the 15yo now, with roughly the same profile. Same rather big dryness. Grassy. Bigger spiciness arising, though (pepper, mustard.) Not an easy whisky. Finish: long, peppery, liquoricy and a little resinous.
Comments: Very punchy and very, very spicy old Yamazaki.
SGP:362 – 80 points.
" (Serge`s scoring system is explained on this page.)

Comments

JC Skinner said…
I've just come into ownership of a bottle exactly like the one you have illustrated.
I very much enjoyed the current 10 yo Yamazaki and was wondering, to your palate, how it differs.
Also, if I find I really, really like this, is it very hard to find more of it?
I know the current 12 yo Yamazaki is, well, current. But are there pockets of stocks of this old bottling still knocking around? I won't find any more where I found this one.
Anonymous said…
Serge was actually the reviewer of this whisky (you might want to go to his site, the excellent whiskyfun.com, because he is just now running a lot of these Yamazaki reviews there (after previewing them at Nonjatta), and ask him about the comparison.
Yes this Yamazaki is sporadically available but it is obviously down to luck whether you can find it. I saw it once in a rural Japanese alcohol store but nowhere else. Sorry not to have been much help on both your questions.
JC Skinner said…
Yikes. I do quite like it, and it seems like I had better take it easy as I won't be finding any more any time soon (if ever).
To me, it edges the current Yamazaki output. More balanced.

Popular Posts